Sunday 1 May 2011

This Week, I 'Ave Been Mostly Playing... (01/05/2011)

Assassin's Creed 2

It turns out the platinum trophy in this game is very easy to get. Only a couple of sessions following completion and three trophies remain. I need to grab all 100 of the feathers dotted about the cities and find a few more of the glyphs as part of the intriguing 'Truth' side story. I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion to that one.

The combat trophies were a little too irritating for my liking. Trying to throw dust in the faces of four guards at a time proved difficult when they were all busy relentlessly poking me with swords. Sweeping five guards at once with a long weapon was even more difficult because you had to actually find a guard with a long weapon to begin with. Thankfully, the rest of the trophies have been a little more enjoyable. The assassins' tombs in particular are a lot of fun, especially those with timed climbing sections; they were a refreshing challenge in a game that's mostly easy.

The Sims 3

 I finally got my ghost-busting Sim to the highest level of his profession. Unfortunately, I seem to have come to end of another Sims addiction cycle. Once or twice a year I'll get a sudden urge to create a new Sim and I'll play it solidly for two or three weeks. When I get to the point where my Sim is at the top of his or her career and rolling in cash, my motivation to play drops considerably. The beginning of a new cycle usually coincides with the purchase of an expansion pack, so I'll probably return to it when Generations hits the shelves.

Civilization V

Whereas I've recovered from my Sims addiction for the moment, I've caught full on Civ fever in its place. It's been a few months since I last played and a few patches have been released since then. There's a very noticeable improvement in the balance of the game. Production speed seems to have quickened to a point where it feels reasonable and balancing happiness and gold seems much more possible now.

I'm in the Renaissance era of my current game and both my happiness and economy have stayed in the positive all the way up to this point. This has by no means made the game too easy; the reason I've had such success is because I've aggressively pursued a strong economy, while at the same time sacrificing my potential military power. My AI opponents have tried to take advantage of this by attempting to 'pick me off' but with my powerful infrastructure and gold reserves, I've at least been able to build up a competent defensive force to hold them off. Now, I'm on my way to victory as all this preparation has resulted in an empire that can crank out the most advanced units very quickly. Domination of my opponents will be swift.

I love it when a plan comes together and that's exactly why I play Civilization.

Portal 2

This week I finished off the cooperative mode. It's incredible just how well Portal style puzzles lend themselves to cooperative gameplay. I've had a real blast with it. That's all I'm going to say for now since I'll be writing a full review for my next post, though I will point out that no matter how many more steps Atlas has taken, P-Body will always be the superior droid.

What's Next? 

I've got a copy of Infamous waiting for me to play it, so I'll be starting that this week. I've heard some good things about it and with the sequel set for release next month, I thought I'd play it and make sure I don't fall behind on yet another series (Another Assassin's Creed game rumoured so soon? I've only just finished the second one!).

Other than that, more Civ. If PSN comes back up, maybe I'll grab those last few Assassin's Creed 2 trophies so that I have another platinum to show off.

No comments:

Post a Comment