Sunday 19 June 2011

This Week, I 'Ave Been Mostly Playing... (19/06/2011)

Katamari Forever

Now that I've got used to the controls again, I'm having a great time with this. I'm slowly plodding along through each level, running into the occasional difficult stage that has me retrying a few times. I'm happy to say that I've finished a couple of levels that have had my katamari grow big enough to roll up continents. The greatest feeling in the Katamari series is starting off with a tiny katamari that's no bigger than a paper clip and having it grow bigger and bigger until you've rolled up the table the paper clip was on, the room the table was in, the house the room was in, the city the house was in, the country the city was in and the continent the country was on. That level of progression in the space of 10 minutes is wonderful. 

I'm glad to see the presence of 'Eternal' mode, something that was missing from We Love Katamari, that allows you to keep on rollin' until there's nothing left to roll up. It means that people like me, who panic under the pressures of a time limit, get to enjoy a slower, more relaxing journey to a massive katamari.

As it turns out, I'm not brilliant at Katamari games. I'm good enough to complete a level, but not without being scorned by an unimpressed King/RoboKing. Some practice in advanced rolling techniques may be required.

World of Warcraft

The journey into Outland begins. This is the first time I've been able to fly as soon as I stepped into Hellfire Peninsula, and already I'm wondering how I had the patience to travel around it on foot. We're level 61 and at around the halfway point of the zone's quest achievement. We haven't suffered a painful death at the hands of the Fel Reaver just yet, but there have been a few close calls. He still instills just as much terror in me as he did the first time I saw him stomping up behind me several years ago.

Little Big Planet 2

It's been a few months since I played this, but I had a hankering for it this week. I've decided to attempt the gold trophy for finishing all the single player levels without dying, a challenge I really enjoyed stepping up to in the first game. So far it seems a little easier, which may be due to the levels being more of a means to introduce and give an overview of the new game mechanics, rather than being a progression of increasingly difficult and devious platforming levels as in the first game.

What's Next?

I don't really have a main game on the go at the moment. Katamari Forever is sort of acting as my main source of gaming, but I'm still only dipping into it when I have the time. Things are getting pretty busy in the real world. I'm moving to a different city in less than a month and I need to find a new job there. Obviously, that sort of thing takes priority, so I've decided not to start playing anything that I'll need to get heavily invested in until after I've moved and got settled in to the new place.

For now, I'll carry on with my one or two WoW nights a week and my Team Fortress 2 night on a Saturday. If I do get any other smidgens of free time to play games, I'll either carry on with Katamari, or go back to some PS3 games I've already finished and grab a few trophies.

No comments:

Post a Comment